Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet is the gluten-free version of a cheesy, stuffed burrito. Add everything into a skillet then simmer. So easy!
Last weekend the boys drove a couple hours east to Cedar Rapids to visit relatives while sis and I held down the fort at home. We joined them for a few hours on Sunday afternoon and after being reunited with Lincoln he asked what we did while he was away. 47 minutes into me recounting the laundry list of things I accomplished with just the baby at home (including the laundry!) he finally interrupted with a big hug and kiss then disappeared to watch PJ Masks in another room. Translation: I SLAYED my (super boring, apparently) to-do list! I even had time to listen to a podcast on Saturday afternoon – “Why you need a seasonal routine” by my friend Alexa atSimple Roots Wellness– and it rocked my world.
Ever wonder why we especially crave sugar and salt in the season that shall not be named? Why the thought of eating a salad is borderline repulsive when it’s 40 degrees outside and raining? Why it’s harder to recover from a tough workout after the leaves fall from the trees? It’s because our bodies are hard-wired to change with the seasons but humans are the only species on earth who resist doing so. We drink ice-cold smoothies when it’s 10 degrees outside instead of a hot bowl of oatmeal. We push ourselves on the treadmill when our cells crave yoga. We stay up late instead of going to bed with the sun. We are fighting nature’s invitation to live seasonally.
I’m paraphrasing her message, and this is a small fraction of the notes I took while listening so I urge you tocheck it out自己,但是一个关键带走我拿走…eating moist, oily, warm foods when it’s cold and dry outside is not only good for our circadian rhythm but it can also boost our mood and metabolism. Honestly I already eat this way in the fall and winter months but to have Alexa’s stamp of approval (ugh she’s so smart) made me feel super excited about it.
ALL THAT TO SAY, the recipe for Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet is definitely checking the “living seasonally” box. After 5+ days of rain and 50s, plus 7+ more days of the same in the forecast, I cannot tell you how good it felt to dig into this comforting skillet of gluten-free deliciousness that contains everything that’s usually stuffed inside a chicken burrito – sans flour tortilla!
Ok, ok – root vegetables, warming spices, and broths is probably what we should be aiming to eat the most of when we’re living seasonally, but I still stand by this hearty, 1 skillet supper that will delight you with its simplicity. Add chopped chicken plus a few pantry staples including rice, beans, canned tomatoes, broth, andtaco seasoning到一个锅然后做饭。加入碎奶酪then top with more shredded cheese and serve.
COULD. NOT. BE. EASIER!
I must warn you that this recipe feeds an army, but the leftovers reheat super well for lunches. So, ready to warm your belly and soul with this super simple, gluten-free dinner recipe?
Start by bringing1 cup long grain white rice, 1-3/4 cups chicken broth,and an undrained10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilesto a boil.FYI:Rotel is NOT considered gluten-free (the ingredients are GF but Conagra does not test to validate that it’s not contaminated during processing.) Locals, I use HyVee’s version of “Rotel” or Red Gold also has a GF version.
Next add15oz can black beansthat’s been drained and rinsed,1 cup frozen sweet corn, 2 small chicken breaststhat have been cut into small, bite-sized pieces, and2 Tablespoonshomemade taco seasoning(or a GF taco seasoning packet).
Bring the mixture back to a simmer then place a lid on top, turn the heat down to a touch below medium, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, giving the mixture a quick stir about halfway through.
Once the rice is tender, take the skillet off the heat then stir in1 cup Mexican cheese blend.Sprinkle another cup of the cheese blend on top then place the lid back on top and let sit and melt for 5 minutes.
FYI:I remove a scoop of the mixture before adding cheese for Lincoln, who has a dairy allergy, then stir in vegan cheddar cheese for him in his bowl.
最后一步:铲到盘子,切碎cilantro, green onions, or avocados, and devour! I hope you love this yummy, warming, EASY skillet supper recipe – enjoy!
Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet
Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet is the gluten-free version of a cheesy, stuffed burrito. Add everything into a skillet then simmer - so easy!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 2 small chicken breasts (about 12-14oz total), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or 1 taco seasoning packet)
- 8oz Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Toppings: chopped cilantro, green onions, avocado
- Add rice, chicken broth, and canned tomatoes with juices into a large skillet then turn the heat up to high to bring to a boil. Add chicken (raw), black beans, sweet corn, and taco seasoning then bring mixture back to a simmer, place a lid on top, and then turn the heat down to just a touch below medium. You want the dish to be at a constant yet gentle simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, giving the mixture a quick stir about halfway through.
- Once rice is tender, remove skillet from heat then stir in half the cheese. Top with remaining cheese then place the lid back on top and let sit for 5 minutes. Scoop onto plates then top with optional toppings and serve.
- Click here for myHomemade Taco Seasoning >
- Be sure chicken is cut into small, bite-sized pieces (vs hunks) to ensure they cook all the way through.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, //www.safways.com.